2020 Summer Reading Challenge Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I or my child participate?
Studies have shown that reading during the summer and engaging in creative exploration help decrease the “summer slide” that occurs when students are out of school. Just as important, it’s fun!
How do Summer Discoverers earn points?
Participants can earn 1 points for 1 minutes of reading and up to a total of 1,000 points by doing any combination of the following:
- READING! (1 point per minute read per person)
- Completing fun, age-appropriate activities at home. Summer Discoverers can earn 0-5 points for every activity they complete.
- Attending virtual #MVPLatHome programs through August 7th. The Library is presenting more than 65 virtual programs this summer on our social media accounts, and many of them call for you to look deeper into ourselves and the world around us! All Library programs are points eligible. Summer Discoverers who attend any virtual Library program will receive 5 points each time they log a secret code which they receive at these programs into their online accounts.
- Logging must be completed by 11:59 pm Pacific on Friday, August 7, 2020, in order to qualify for prizes.
- Reading for a total of three hours or earning at least 3 level-up badges earns you a ticket for the prize drawing(s).
Do Summer Discoverers still need to read, or can they just do activities and programs?
Reading or listening to a book read aloud is required in order to complete the program.
How do I register my child or myself?
Click on the “Register/Log in” button to access the easy-to-use online tracking system. If this is your first year of participating, you can register your children any time before June 14. You will be able to register multiple family members under one username and password.
Logging must be completed by 11:59 pm Pacific on Friday, August 7, 2020, in order to qualify for prizes.